The Cincinnati Pet Food Pantry asks that the following guidelines are read and agreed to in order for a household to receive assistance. These guidelines are set up so that we may help as many people as possible. If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at email@example.com or call (513) 275-5842.
- One applicant per household.
- See below for our income eligibility rules.
- When possible, we strive to provide a two week supply of pet food per household, up to a reasonable limit.
- Food is distributed when donations are available. We do not have a set schedule – we announce the next month’s distribution date on the date of the current month’s date. Please call (513) 275-5842 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to verify what days we will be distributing food or if there are any cancellations or changes in our schedule.
- We offer temporary assistance for feeding pets. We are not to be used as a permanent source of pet food.
- We reserve the right to refuse anyone under any circumstance, such as someone who is a breeder. If your pets are not spayed/neutered, you must get them spayed/neutered in order to continue to receive assistance from the Cincinnati Pet Food Pantry. We will assist you in doing this if cost is a concern. There are very low cost and sometimes free spay/neuter programs. Ask us for help in identifying those programs.
- We ask for personal information when you apply, but do not share your information with anyone and all information is kept strictly confidential.
- No one in the household is to resell food or items provided by the Pantry. If we find out the food or item(s) was resold, the household and all members involved will be banned from assistance indefinitely.
- We consider special requests for certain formulas or flavors of dog and cat food (i.e., Senior, Indoor, etc), but are only able to give what we have at the time the request is made. Please be respectful and understanding that we are a donation-based program, not a store.
- All potential recipients must come IN PERSON to our distribution site in order to receive pet food. WE CANNOT GIVE SOMEONE ELSE FOOD FOR YOU AND WE CANNOT DELIVER FOOD TO YOU. YOU MUST BRING PHOTO ID AND PROOF OF ELIGIBILITY OR WE WILL NOT GIVE YOU FOOD. NO EXCEPTIONS – EVEN IF YOU HAVE COME TO THE PANTRY PREVIOUSLY.
- We reserve the right to make exceptions based on individual need.
- All recipients must agree to not have any animal outside, on a rope or chain or in a kennel 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- We are providing a service to the community and ask that recipients receive only as much food as they need so that we can help as many needy pet owners as possible.
- We accept donations of all kinds of pet food. By accepting food and/or services from the Pantry, the recipient, all household members, their friends and family agree not to hold the Pantry, its staff, volunteers, and benefactors legally liable in the unfortunate event the recipient’s pet(s) becomes ill or the food upsets the pet’s stomach.
- When you receive pet food from the Pantry, you are aware of the potential risks involved with feeding your pet(s) a new food, since it’s unlikely the pet food received is your pet’s usual brand(s).
Proof of Income Requirements
The Cincinnati Pet Food Pantry has income limits for pet owners seeking assistance from the Pantry. You must bring proof that your household’s income is at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines as shown below. The numbers have been updated for 2013.
Note: These are the same limits used by the FreeStore FoodBank for emergency food assistance.
Federal Poverty Level (FPL) Eligibility ≤ 200% FPL
|Annual 200% of
|Monthly 200% of
|For each additional
You must submit proof of income, such as:
- A copy of the latest income tax return.
- A copy of the latest check stub.
- A letter signed by your employer which verifies employment.
- A letter signed by a social worker or employee of an agency helping you get other types of assistance that confirms your income level.
- Other papers that provide proof of monthly income (or lack thereof), such as Social Security Award Letter, Unemployment check stub, and/or Disability check stub.
- Food stamps or Medicaid eligibility letter. (Just the card isn’t enough, as we cannot tell if it’s currently active.)
You must also bring your photo ID.
If your normal income is above 200% of the federal poverty level, we can still consider your case if you can you prove temporary, financial hardship with appropriate documentation, such as recent job loss, major illness in the family, unexpected major bills. If you are in this situation and can prove it, we will consider these situations on a case-by-case basis.
ALL DECISIONS OF THE CINCINNATI PET FOOD PANTRY ARE FINAL. OUR MISSION IS TO HELP TRULY NEEDY PET OWNERS KEEP THEIR PETS. IF YOU CANNOT PROVE YOUR NEED, WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO HELP.